Friday, June 16, 2006

Foxy Makes the News

While taking a bike ride at dusk a few nights ago, I came right up on a fox who hardly seemed scared of me. He just continued to walk towards me, then walk past me, as if he was a pedestrian with just as much right of way as me. (Perhaps more...I think those on foot have the right away prior to those on bicycles.) No, I was not biking in the woods. I was just touring around our neighborhood, where this fox has called home for years. While this fox has been spotted within a couple mile radius of our home in every direction, I actually see him most often in our backyard that backs up to a small thicket of trees and the expansive backyard of the small church around the corner from us. Rumor has it that one of the other neighbors, whose yard also backs up to the church, feeds the fox, thus encouraging him to make our 'hood his own. At the time, I remember thinking, "Damn, the suburbs have really gone overboard. Even the foxes want to leave the woods to live here."

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Blog Archive