Monday, October 29, 2007

I'll Never Cook Again

Pat took a "Mental Health Day" today, needing a break from the usual routine. The original intention was to come back from Louisville last night in order to do something as a family today, but after a long weekend of 3 year old antics and an infant with worsening reflux symptoms...we opted to stay one more night to take advantage of his mother's love to take care of us and our children. So instead of shuttling the kids around to a museum or park today, we took ourselves out to dinner while grandmother spoiled the babies last night.

I had: ROASTED VEGETABLE AND KENNY'S KENTUCKY GOUDA CHIMICHANGA
Roasted butternut squash-serrano chile sauce, toasted pumpkin seed rice and tomato butter.

And because of that, I'll never cook again. This was one of the best seasonal meals I've had in a long time.

But, it is Monday. In honor of my husband who not only took me out last night but also took the bull by the horns and got Conrad a doctor's appointment and new reflux meds today, I'll post one of the few meat dishes I make even when we're not having company. Considering that he's currently out with the 3 year old, leaving me with just the sleeping baby, I should probably plan to make this for him this week.

From The Sopranos Cookbook of all places...

Coarsely chop red potatoes, bell peppers, red onion, and smash a few cloves of garlic. Place in a large roasting pan and drizzle generously with olive oil and kosher salt. Roast in 425 degree oven for 40-50 minutes. While vegetables are roasting, brown links of fresh sausage in a skillet. Pierce sausage with a fork a few times, then place on top of roasting vegetables for the last 20-30 minutes. Its done when the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are slightly brown and crispy.

We generally use 2-3 red potatoes, 1/4 a red onion, and about half a bell pepper per person. One link of sausage per person who will eat the stuff.

Blog Archive