Thursday, November 17, 2005

So Freakin' Cold

My house is cold... Due to rising natural gas prices, we have been trying to be really diligent about keeping our house set at 68 degrees. I don't know what 68 degrees feels like in your house, but in my 80 year old house with 9 foot ceilings...68 degrees ain't warm. I'm not so sure if we're actually saving any money though, because we spend most of our time parked in front of little electric space heaters. You should the 3 of us, plus the cats, all clamoring for a bit of the heat.

My hands are cold... Tomorrow I'm going to seek out a surgeon who will permanently implant a tea cup into my palm. I have a feeling I should just go ahead and buy stock in Tetley's Decaff British Blend Pods. If there was any doubt about whether or not I'd use my new Melitta coffee/tea maker, doubt no more. Its worth its weight IN GOLD!

My sheets are cold... After freezing my botty off all day long, there is nothing worse than retreating to COLD SHEETS! I'm holding out for some sort of mattress warmer for Christmas that I plan to put on a timer, therefore never having to suffer cold sheets again. I know my husband really loves me when I come to bed and find him already in there...on my side of the bed. Love is: warming your wifes side of the bed before you warm your own.

Speaking of my husband...

My feet WERE cold... until he bought me these...

Here's the real kicker with these. Well, I guess, first of all, he HATES slippers. So the fact that he bought me this is no small gesture. But better yet, I had been thinking that I wanted some nice, thick soled slippers to get me through the winter. But, knowing his disdain for this genre of footwear, I had not mentioned this to Pat. While in California, I spied this exact same slipper, and even went into the store to check them out, only to decide that they were "too rich for my blood" (meaning they were too pricey). They were a brand I'd never heard of. Much to my surprise, my husband had seen these very same slippers while in Chicago and thought that they'd be just the thing for his perpetually chilled wife. Just when you wonder if you're just two strangers in the night....

And not at all related to the fact that I'm cold but definitely related to the fact that my husband is stellar...

I'm going back to school! Yes, as of January 14, I'll officially be a student again. I'm entering a Transition to Teaching Program that only meets on Saturdays off and on for the next 2 years. I'll have some student teaching to complete during the week at varying points, but when its all said and done...I'll have my teaching license. I'm really excited.

How, you ask, does this reflect so well on your husband? Me going to school is no small sacrifice for anyone. It means that he's going to be "super dad" on lots of Saturdays, and probably some evenings during the week while I do my homework. It means that there will be financial sacrifices in order to pay for this program. And it means that some of his goals might wait a bit longer while I achieve mine. It means that he's a spectacular person for being so darn supportive and even excited for this new endeavor, in spite of what it means for him.

So totally unrelated...

What do you think of Alyson Hannigan? (The "band camp" girl from American Pie) As I've typed this post, someone is blathering on and on over my shoulder about how hot she is. He insists that EVERYONE knows that she's hot but me.

---this is the end of the most random blog post ever.

Blog Archive